Reds: Road to the play-offs
The Reds were at one stage set to win the Australian conference. A couple of close games, a draw or two and they finished 5th on the log. This means a trip to New Zealand to face the Crusaders.
They started of strongly winning 5 of their first 7 games before going into a bye.
1. Lost 24-6 to the Brumbies away.
2. Won 25-17 against the Waratahs at home.
3. Won 18-12 against the Hurricanes at home.
4. Won 13-23 against the Rebels away.
5. Lost 12-19 to the Force at home.
6. Won 23-18 against the Bulls at home.
7. Won 33-34 against the Highlanders away.
After the bye they had two draws but managed to beat overall lof leaders, the Chiefs. Still had it not been for the draws, they might have ended top of the Australian conference and maybe even in second place overall.
8. Won 23-31 against the Chiefs away.
9. Drew 19-19 against the Brumbies at home.
10. Won 12-11 against the Blues at home.
11. Drew 11-11 against the Force away.
12. Won 32-17 against the Sharks at home.
13. Lost 27-13 to the Cheetahs away.
14. Lost 20-15 to the Stormers away.
15. Won 33-20 against the Rebels at home.
The June test break didn’t effect them to badly and they ended the round robin stages with a win.
16. Won 12-14 against the Waratahs way.
Should they be able to beat the Crusaders it will mean that they play either the Bulls or Chiefs in the semi’s. All money will be on them backing the Brumbies to beat the Cheetahs. This would mean they stay in New Zealand to face the Chiefs. Otherwise it is a flight to SA. To play the Bulls and in that case they would want to see the Cheetahs make it to the final. If not they are going to rack up the frequent flyer miles.
follow Dave on @djvanman on twitter