My thoughts on the Springbok team to face Scotland
Well by now we all know Heyneke Meyer has mad 5 changes to his match day 23 of which two are in the starting 15. Let’s have a quick look at the team.
15. Willie Meyer – He showed last week that he is an exciting player. He made a huge difference to the back line and played invigorating rugby from the back. No more kick it back and jope for the best.
14. Bryan Habana – Habana played some of the best rugby of his career against Italy. He is closing in on 50 test tries and the 4 highest point scorer for the Boks. Always looking for work.
13. JJ Engelbrecht – A brilliant showing against Italy. If he gets good ball he is an exciting runner. Would like to see him paired with Jan Serfontein.
12. Jean de Villiers – Didn’t have a bad game against Italy. Still his age is starting to show and he is a tad bit slow. Then again he leads from the front.
11. Bjorn Basson – showed that if he gets good ball he is dangerous. Still some work to do but that will come with time.
10. Morne Steyn – Playing the role of the general much better this season. Decision making improved and he is back to the player we know.
9. Ruan Pienaar – Will be interesting to see if he can get the back line away in the same manner as Jano Vermaak did. Probably the weak link in the backline. Remains to be seen.
8. Pierre Spies – with Duane Vermeulen injured, Spies is probably the best option. Still standing around to much and not playing to his full potential.
7. Arno Botha – Impressed but still not showing his true worth. Would like to see Lappies Labuschagne get a run and show what he can do.
6. Marcell Coetzee – Marcell is more of a 7 flank in my view. Still probably the better option in the squad with Flo not available and Brussow not considered. A position that we need more back-up in.
5. Juandre Kruger – Busy becooming one of the best if not the best 5 in the World. A big loss for SA rugby.
4. Eben Etzebeth – What can one say about this youngster? He is a brilliant player and hard man at that.
Jannie du Plessis – Suffered a bit against Italy, but so did Beast. If he is still the best 3 in SA, is open to discussion.
2. Adriaan Strauss – Bismarck is going to struggle to take back the 2 jersey from him. Adriaan is playing brilliant rugby, but needs to be managed. He has not missed a game yet this year.
1. Beast Mtawarira – he struggled in the scrum, but other than that was in the game. Again might still be feeling the eefvts of a long lay-off and also of a hard Super rugby seasosn
Not much to say about the reserves. The guys that played last week didn’t get much game time but still impressed. Siya and Piet will hopefully make their debuts and make them count. Bismarck will be rusty but it is as good a time as any to get him back in the saddle.
follow Dave on @djvanman on twitter